First-time mothers need to make sure that they are doing things the right way, especially when they are breastfeeding their little one, considering that a little mistake can harm them and their baby.
While breastfeeding, there are a number of things that one needs to avoid as they can leave long-term effects on the health of the mother and the babies at the same time.
If you want to make sure you are doing everything the right way but have no idea what to do and what to avoid doing? Don’t worry, we got you!
Below, in this blog, we have listed down some of the many things that you need to avoid doing when you are breastfeeding!
Three Things You Need To Avoid Doing While Breastfeeding
1. Not taking care of your nipples
The first thing that you need to avoid doing not taking care of your nipples.
Remember, your nipples are extremely sensitive and with your baby sucking on it probably around 5 to 10 times on a daily basis, you want to make sure that you are doing everything that you can in order to take care of yourself and your nipples.
Here are some tips on how you can take care of your nipples:
- Wash your hands with soap and water before you feed your baby.
- Only touch your breasts and nipples when your hands are clean.
- Wear a clean bra. Trying washing your bra on daily basis.
- Learn how to support your breasts.
- Do not use soap or shampoo on your nipples as they might be sensitive because of sucking by the baby.
- Put your own breast milk on your nipples after feeding
2. Not using breastfeeding equipment: The second thing that you need to avoid doing is not using proper breastfeeding equipment. Remember, if you are not using proper breastfeeding equipment or don’t know how to use them properly, it is pretty likely that you will end up hurting your breasts. Don’t go for a product just because it’s less costly’. Breastfeeding equipment is going to make that you are getting milk to your little one the right way so always try to pick the best one and with the best reviews.
3. Avoid certain food: When you are breastfeeding, make sure that you are avoiding certain foods considering that they are capable of harming you and your baby. Mother’s Milk is most important for proper growth of the little ones so you should always try to follow a proper diet system and eat foods that can provide all the required nutrients to your baby
Here are some of the many foods that you need to avoid eating when you are breastfeeding your little one:
- Fish high in mercury
- Some herbal supplements
- Highly processed foods
Do you think we missed out on anything important in the things that you need to avoid doing when you are breastfeeding? Let us know what we missed out by leaving a comment in the comments section below!